There's a burger restaurant in California called Slater's that made a 'Merica Burger 3.0 a couple of years ago that was the inspiration for this meatloaf. I took creative liberties by using ground pork instead of ground bacon in the meatloaf, because that's a lot of salt to put into one meatloaf if it was made from the latter. I couldn't find bacon American cheese, so I just used the plain type, though it was at my local supermarket at one point. Everything else in the meatloaf was pretty similar to the 'Merica Burger.
Really creative burgers like that provide good fodder for meatloaf recipes, let me tell you!
I put just enough sriracha and hot sauce in the meatloaf so that it wouldn't overpower it. You definitely taste bacon and pork obviously. Surprisingly, this meatloaf doesn't cut very well, as the plated meatloaf, well, it looks like tumbleweed and not so much a loaf.
The two things I've never had before in this meatloaf were Texas toast and hot links. Texas toast is basically toast that tastes like garlic bread. The hot links were spicy but not too much- water helped quell the spiciness in my mouth, along with the cheese and coleslaw in the loaf.
My dad said this meatloaf wasn't spicy at all, but to be fair, I didn't give him any piece of the hot links. If I did, he probably would've spit it out.
Bacon Grease: www.amazon.com/Bacon-Grease-BELLY-PALEO-COOKBOOK/dp/B01M0WNCO0/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1530470959&sr=8-3&
Hot Links: schwabmeat.com/shop/schwab-s-old-fashion-hot-link-sausages.html
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A frying pan
A large bowl
A loaf pan
Nonstick cooking spray
For the meatloaf:
1/2 an onion
Bacon Grease(see HELPFUL LINKS)
2 beaten and whisked eggs
1/2 cup baked beans
1/2 cup coleslaw
1/2 cup bread and butter pickles
1/2 cup French-fried onions
3 tbsp. honey mustard
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. Sriracha
Pinch of BBQ rub
5 slices of Texas toast
1 lb. ground pork
2-3 slices American cheese
2-3 hot links(see HELPFUL LINKS)
2-3 slices bacon
1. Turn the stove on and melt some bacon grease. Put the onion into the frying pan and saute until they're translucent. Put the sauteed onion into the large bowl.
2. Add the next 9 ingredients into the large bowl.
3. Crumble up the Texas toast slices and put them into the large bowl. Pour some breadcrumbs in as well.
4. Add the ground pork to the large bowl and mix all the ingredients up until you get a firm meatloaf mixture.
5. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put half the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.
6. Top the meatloaf mixture that's in the loaf pan with the American cheese. Top the cheese with the hot links and cover the hot links with the rest of the meatloaf mixture.
7. Top the meatloaf with the bacon and bake the meatloaf in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for an hour or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit.