Fast forward to 2015 and I wanted to make Avocado Bread without all the hassle of adding yeast to the dough and waiting hours to let it rise. Then I found a recipe for an Avocado quick bread. Basically, a quick bread is a bread that rises due to putting baking soda and baking powder in the dough, instead of yeast.
For the cooking vessels, you will need:
A large bowl
A medium bowl
A small bowl
A loaf pan
Nonstick cooking spray
For the actual bread, you will need:
For the buttermilk:
3/8 cup of buttermilk or 3/8 cup of milk and 3/8 tbsp. of lemon juice
1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp. of baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 tsp. of cinnamon
3/4 tsp. of white pepper
A little under a cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of butter pats
2 beaten eggs
2 mashed avocados
If you don't have buttermilk, here's what you do:
1. Put the milk and lemon juice in a small bowl.
2. Mix the ingredients together. Then let it rest for 5 minutes.
If you do have buttermilk, proceed to the rest of the steps:
1. Put the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Mix the ingredients together until you can no longer see the spices you put in the bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, add the sugar and butter. Mix the two together until the end result is nice and fluffy.
4. Beat and whisk 1 egg at a time. Put whisked egg in medium bowl. Mix contents of medium bowl together.
5. Repeat step 4 once.
6. Mash 2 avocados and put them in the medium bowl. Mix all ingredients together so the avocados are distributed evenly.
7. Put buttermilk in the large bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
8. Put contents of medium bowl into large bowl. Mix all ingredients together until you get a somewhat solid dough(or it looks like pancake batter. That's the closest analogy I can think of)
9. Spray loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
10. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the bread passes the "toothpick test'.
The "toothpick test": Take bread out of oven and poke it with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
11. Let the bread cool for 20 minutes.
12. Bon appetit!