But alas, that wasn't meant to be. However, I will be posting several Birthday Cake Soda recipes this month and next month.
I don't think anybody has ever used the words "birthday cake" and "kimchi" in the same sentence- until now!
The taste was a mix of sweet and spicy, with crunchiness sprinkled in(pun intended). I also happened to find Birthday Cake Kisses(see HELPFUL LINKS) to use as a garnish for this kimchi.
My dad was too weirded out to taste the kimchi. I felt a weird sense of satisfaction dropping a piece of funfetti cake onto a pile of fermented vegetables.
Kimchi is great as a taco filling or on top of a slice of pizza or hot dog!
HELPFUL LINKS: Birthday Cake Soda:
Birthday Cake Kisses: https://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Kisses-Birthday-Cake-Flavor/dp/B01LYB6YCH/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478290479&sr=8-1&
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A large bowl
A medium plate
A small plate
A 1-lb. weight or can
For the kimchi:
1 head of red cabbage
1 tbsp. of salt
1/2 a raw onion
15 chopped up baby carrots
1 1/2 tbsp. of chili powder
12 ounces of Birthday Cake Soda(see HELPFUL LINK)
1/3 cup of spinach leaves
1/4 of a party or funfetti cake
9 Birthday Cake Kisses(see HELPFUL LINK)
1. Wash the head of red cabbage.
2. Pick the leaves off the head of red cabbage. This process took me 30 minutes, so it's time-consuming but worth it!
3. Cut the leaves in half using either a knife or your hands. Put the cut up leaves into the large bowl. Wash the cabbage leaves.
4. Mix the salt with the cabbage leaves. Put a medium plate on top of the leaves. Place a 1-lb. weight or can on top of the plate. Let the salted cabbage be weighed down for an hour. At some point, switch the medium plate with a small plate as the salted cabbage is weighed down.
5. After the cabbage has been weighed down, drain any remaining liquid.
6. Add the next 4 kimchi ingredients to the large bowl. Mix all the ingredients up with a spoon.
7. Put aluminum foil on top of the bowl. Place the bowl in the fridge to let the kimchi ferment for at least 24 hours, or overnight.
8. Put all remaining kimchi ingredients into the large bowl. Mix all the ingredients up with your hands.
9. Serve on top of a slice of pizza or hot dog, or in a taco. Bon appetit!