Where on earth did I ever run into some cod sperm? An Asian supermarket, which has the most exotic things imaginable. There are plenty of articles about Westerners trying cod milt(well the politically correct, family-friendly term is cod milt but that doesn't drive as many eyeballs to this post as "sperm"), spitting it out, and saying it's disgusting. I have to admit, this is one of the weirdest meats I've ever worked with.
But if you put Puritanical American prudeness(the bane of the lack of sex ed in school, but this is not the website to be discussing that sort of issue) to the side and actually try the milt, it's creamy, buttery, and delicious!
Though I admit cod milt recipes are few and far between on the Internet. But I did find this one recipe that provided the inspiration for this meatloaf.
Honestly, the meatloaf could still be edible without the heavy cream, cheese, and okra topping- I just didn't know what kind of meat I was working with, so I used the topping just to be safe. The topping is what makes this dish look like a faux Italian pasta dish.
This meatloaf was basically a convenient excuse to use all the Asian snacks I bought at the Asian supermarket. Of all these ingredients, my favorite would have to be the Honey Twist Snacks, which taste like Honey Nut Cheerios in the shape of a French fry!
My dad was too disgusted to try this meatloaf.
Light Miso: www.amazon.com/Muso-Japan-Smart-Light-Sweet/dp/B00TBC0HT2/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503176227&sr=8-2&
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A large bowl
A medium bowl
A loaf pan
Nonstick cooking spray
For the meatloaf:
2/3 tbsp. onion powder
2 beaten and whisked eggs
1 tbsp. light miso(see HELPFUL LINK)
3 mini strawberry Kit Kats
3 pieces ube mochi
12 grams tofu broth seasoning
Pinch of parsley
1/4 cup Korean BBQ sauce
1/4 cup banana ketchup
1 cup crushed Honey Twist Snacks
1 cup crushed honey butter potato chips
1 lb. cod sperm(milt)
3 tsp. salt
For the topping(optional):
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp. light miso
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
5 pieces of shredded okra
1. Put the first 3 ingredients into a large bowl. Break apart the Kit Kats and mochi into small pieces and add them to the large bowl.
2. Add the next 6 ingredients to the large bowl.
3. Put the cod sperm on a large plate and massage the salt into the cod sperm until it's slimy. Then place the milt into a colander and run it under cold water to wash out any excess salt.
4. Cut the sperm into smaller pieces using kitchen shears. Run the cut up sperm under hot water until it shrinks. Place the sperm into a medium bowl and then pour the sperm into the large bowl.
5. Mix all the ingredients up until you get a firm meatloaf mixture.
6. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.
7.(optional)In a cup, mix the heavy cream and miso together. Pour the heavy cream mixture on top of the meatloaf in the loaf pan. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded okra.
8. Bake the meatloaf in a 390 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20-25 minutes. Bon appetit!