If you watch the video, you may notice I don't go into much detail on how to cook the dried beans. Well that's because I tried cooking them in the microwave and they ended up hard and crunchy even after cooking with water for 21 1/2 minutes!! Sigh, some things just don't cook well in the microwave. I should've boiled the beans- and this link tells you how.
There was yet another snafu to this recipe- the potato chip pie crust ended up a little burnt and it was very difficult to remove the quiche from the pie pan. Maybe I should've greased the pan with butter or margarine instead of nonstick cooking spray. :(
I also forgot to put the roasted coconut butter in the quiche and by the time I realized my omission, it was too late. So I did the next best thing: I put the roasted coconut butter on the quiche.
Otherwise this quiche was very delicious and it was a big hit with my family! The fruit cereal flavor was very prominent. I used my Aunt Renee instead of my dad again for feedback- she loved it.
But you might be wondering why a potato chip pie crust? I had a lot of potato chips left over that I didn't want going to waste so I used them as a pie crust! My dad tells me I'm like his dad(my grandpa) in that we both hate to waste food. So true, so true. I actually put the remaining fruit cereal-flavored egg whites into my morning oatmeal for a protein boost along with some leftover dried fruits. Coincidentally, today is Earth Day.
Now about that flavored egg white. I discovered MuscleEgg egg whites on accident while scrolling through Instagram and I was amazed by the variety of flavors they had, so I bought the weirdest flavor possible, fruit cereal(it was that or cake batter)! The egg whites have zero sugar but taste like fruity cereal, which is no small feat. Plus each cup of egg whites has 24 grams of protein! Note: I'm not sponsored by MuscleEgg! Just happen to love what they're making.
Mixed beans: https://www.amazon.com/ROM-AMERICA-Certified-Beans-Pound/dp/B01LDX0DWM/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1492890324&sr=1-3&
MuscleEgg Fruit Cereal Egg Whites: https://www.muscleegg.com/products/liquid-egg-whites/fruit-cereal/2-half-gallons-fruit-cereal-2/
Roasted Coconut Butter: https://eatingevolved.com/products/sweet-salty-roasted-coconut-butter
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A large bowl
A medium bowl
A 9" pie pan
Butter or margarine to grease the pan
For the quiche:
3 cups dried mixed beans(I used a mixture of black beans, green peas, garbanzo beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans, and red kidney beans)(see HELPFUL LINK)
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup and 2 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp. melted butter(I microwaved the butter for 30 seconds)
2 cups uncrushed potato chips(I used Beer and Brats flavored chips but any flavor will do)
3/4 cup MuscleEgg fruit cereal liquid egg whites(see HELPFUL LINK)
7 chopped up baby carrots(when I think of bunnies, I think of carrots)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of dill weed(reminds me of the grass in an Easter egg basket from my childhood)
Pinch of thyme
Pinch of black pepper
Pinch of salt
Chocolate sprinkles(because chocolate is inextricably linked to Easter)
1 cup Fruity Pebbles
1 tbsp. roasted coconut butter(I like dipping bunny-shaped chocolates into peanut butter and roasted coconut butter is pretty similar)(see HELPFUL LINK)
1. Soak the mixed beans in a large bowl filled with enough water to submerge them. Let the beans soak overnight or for 6-12 hours.
2. Drain the beans with a colander. Put the drained beans back in the large bowl. Follow the directions of this link to cook the dried beans.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk up the large egg, whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, and melted butter.
4. Put the potato chips into a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture on top of the chips. Mix the chips and egg mixture together for 5 minutes, so the chips can absorb the egg mixture and become soft.
5. Butter a 9" pie pan with butter or margarine. Put the potato chip crust into the pie pan. If the crust seems a little low, crush up some more potato chips in a Ziploc bag and sprinkle as much crushed chips as you need to make the crust higher.
6. In a large bowl, mix the next 11 ingredients up. You can either put the roasted coconut butter into the large bowl or wait to put it on top of the finished quiche.
7. Pour the egg white mixture in the large bowl on top of the potato chip pie crust.
8. Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45-60 minutes. Bon appetit!