There were some snags along the way while making the purple cauliflower crust. For one thing, I bought the last head of purple cauliflower in that small supermarket that day. It only cost $1.50 for good reason- it was on the clearance section because it was starting to go bad(read: moldy), so I could only use half of the head(the half that wasn't moldy), resulting in a smaller pizza than I hoped for, which is why I also bought riced beets just in case the entire head was unusable. The only good thing about the leaves of the purple cauliflower head being moldy was that they detached very easily.
Strangely enough, one of the predicted food trends for 2017 is naturally purple vegetables, including purple cauliflower!
The pizza was very colorful- and tasty. Although looking back on making this pizza, the pizza was a tad too greasy due to the American cheese I used. But otherwise it was crispy and delicious!
You will need:
For the cooking equipment:
A cheese grater
A microwave-safe bowl with lid
A large baking sheet
Nonstick cooking spray
For the purple cauliflower crust:
1 head of purple cauliflower
1/4 cup riced beets
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 slices American cheese
7 chopped up baby carrots
To make the crust:
1. Remove the leaves from the purple cauliflower, leaving only the head. Grate the head against a cheese grater. Put the grated cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Put the lid on the microwave safe bowl. Microwave the riced cauliflower for 6-8 minutes to soften them up.
3. Put the riced beets into a small bowl and microwave the beets for 20 seconds to soften them up.
4. Place the softened riced beets and cauliflower into a large bowl, along with the rest of the crust ingredients.
5. Mix all the ingredients up until you get something that looks like dough.
6. Place parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
7. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
8. Put the dough onto the parchment paper. Flatten the dough with your hands until it is about 1/2-inch thick.
9. Bake the crust in a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-12 minutes.
To top the pizza:
1. Take the cooked pizza crust out of the oven.
2. Cover the pizza with enough tomato sauce to leave some uncovered edges on the crust.
3. Tear the slice(s) of American cheese into pieces and put those pieces on top of the tomato sauce.
4. Top the pizza with the rest of the pizza toppings.
5. Bake in a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-12 minutes.
6. Bon appetit!